The Bastion Remnants is a randomly generated structure that was added in the 1.16 - Nether Update in (Snapshot: 20w16a) that is a remnant of a structure and has four areas in the Bastion Remnants: The bridge, Hoglin stables, Housing units, and The treasure room. Officially announced by the Minecraft Team, piglins hoglins, and piglin brutes (1.16.2 only, 1.16.20 for BE) live in these huge ancient fortifications. It's unknown how these massive structures were destroyed. Several gold blocks can be found inside, either at the bottom or in a corner of the structure, as seen on the right. They generate in all nether biomes except Basalt Deltas and they are the only way to obtain a the Pigstep music disc and the Snout banner pattern in survival mode.
Bastion remnants can be found in all of the biomes in the nether except Basalt Deltas. They can even be found in the Soul Sand Valley even though piglins are scared of soul fire and it's related items.
Piglins, Piglin Brutes and Hoglins that spawn on generation in Bastions do not despawn naturally, nor do they hunt each other. Piglin Brutes also spawn exclusively spawn here one-time initially and do not despawn unless dead.
Bastion remnants generate as 4 types of structures: bridges, hoglin stables, housing units, and treasure rooms. Each type has its own set of structures that compose it. These structures may be supported by ramparts that contain cave-like paths. Piglins, Piglin Brutes and Hoglins spawn frequently throughout.
All bastion remnant structures found below are located in the folder:
The bridge consists of a large ruined rampart structure with a piglin face carved into it. The inside of the "mouth" consists of multiple levels of walkways surrounded by lava. A damaged bridge goes out from the mouth, with a support pillar on the far side.
The hoglin stables consist of a three-part rampart with damaged hoglin stables on either side. Hoglin stables' pieces are contained in the subfolder hoglin_stable.
The housing unit consists of multiple ruined two-part ramparts arranged around a central courtyard with nether wart growing in the middle. Housing unit pieces are contained in the subfolder units.
The treasure room structure consists of a large rampart supported by buttresses, with a bridge going between it and the treasure room itself.
The treasure room consists of many bridges suspended above a lava floor. At the bottom of a treasure room, there is a magma cube spawner, and a center loot area consisting of Blocks of Gold , as well as 1 or 2 treasure chests. Additional chests generate in the bastion, but they use the "generic" loot table instead of the "treasure" loot table. Treasure room pieces are contained in the subfolder treasure.
- Before Beta 220.127.116.11, some bastion remnant loot tables in Bedrock Edition contain entries for spectral arrows. despite them not exsisting in that version of the game.
- This was likely not an error from copying the loot tables in Java Edition , as both editions had different loot at the time.
- The structure bastion/hoglin_stable/starting_pieces/stairs_1_mirrored, despite containing the word "mirrored", it is not stored as mirrored like the other mirrored stairs. This has no effect on generation due to the placement of Jigsaw Blocks in the structure.
- In Java Edition, before 1.16 pre-3, there were multiple unused structure files.
- Two large stables were unused: bastion/hoglin_stable/large_stables/inner_4and bastion/hoglin_stable/large_stables/outer_4.
- Three sets of stairs were unused: bastion/hoglin_stable/stairs/stairs_0_mirrored, bastion/hoglin_stable/stairs/stairs_2, and bastion/hoglin_stable/stairs/stairs_3. They are removed as of 1.16 pre-release 3.
- In Bedrock Edition, there are multiple unused structure files. Unlike the unused structures in Java Edition, these structures are more technical.
- Two files named bastion/units/wall_units/edge_0 and bastion/treasure/ramparts/lava_basin contain blocks that have not been added to the game, including blackstone_bricks, blackstone_brick_stairs, cracked_blackstone_bricks, and chiseled_blackstone_bricks.
- A test structure file, bastion/jigsaw_test, contains two oak signs, some jigsaw blocks, stained glass, and stone.