14 × 7
2 (inflicted on mobs they attack)
Height: 0.375 blocks
An axolotl is a passive aquatic mob that attacks most other aquatic mobs.
Axolotls can be one of five colors: pink (leucistic, referred to as "lucy" in its texture file), brown (wild), yellow (gold), and two colors that don't occur among real-world axolotles, cyan and blue.
When breeding Axolotls, there is a 1⁄1200 (0.083%) chance of the offspring having the blue mutation, leaving 1199⁄1200 (99.917%) chance of matching one of the parents (including blue parents).
Axolotls are passive toward players and can be attached to leads. Axolotls give Regeneration I for 100 game ticks (5 seconds) per Axolotl in the fight, up to a duration of 2400 game ticks (2 minutes)[Java Edition only], and remove Mining Fatigue when a player kills a mob that is in combat with an axolotl.
After killing a non-hostile mob, there is a two minute cooldown before another non-hostile mob can be hunted. Axolotls prioritize attacking hostile mobs over non-hostile mobs.
If an axolotl takes damage underwater, it may play dead, dropping to the ground for 200 game ticks (10 seconds) while gaining Regeneration I. Hostile aquatic mobs ignore healing axolotls. There is a 1⁄3 chance for an axolotl to play dead to recover 4. In addition, if either a random integer from 0–2 (inclusive) is less than the amount of incoming damage, or the axolotl's health before the damage is dealt is less than 50% of its maximum health, it plays dead.
Axolotls can leave the water and wander about on land. They tend to return to the nearest water source because they die outside of water after 6000 game ticks (5 minutes), although they can wander too far and die before they return. Axolotls can also die out of water as passengers in a boat. Unlike fish, dolphins, and squid, axolotls do not die on land in rain or a thunderstorm.
Unlike most mobs, axolotls cannot be moved by flowing water. However, they are still affected by Bubble Columns.
Axolotls picked up with a water bucket and re-spawned do not despawn.
Axolotls can be renamed by placing a bucket of axolotl into an anvil, the same as if renaming any other item.
Adult axolotls can be led and bred with buckets of tropical fish. After breeding, a baby axolotl spawns and 1–7 experience is generated. The parents cannot be bred again for 5 minutes in Java Edition or 1 minute in Bedrock Edition. The baby axolotl has a 1⁄1200 chance to be the rare blue variant; otherwise, it inherits the color of one parent at random. Babies follow adults, and grow to adulthood in 20 minutes. The growth of baby axolotls can be accelerated using buckets of tropical fish; each use reduces the remaining growing time by 10%.
|Sound||Subtitles||Source||Description||Resource location||Translation key||Volume||Pitch||Attenuation|
|Axolotl attacks||Friendly Creatures||Attacking a mob||?||?||?|
|Axolotl dies||Friendly Creatures||Dying||?||?||?|
|Axolotl hurts||Friendly Creatures||Taking damage||?||?||?|
|Axolotl chirps||Friendly Creatures||Randomly when in water||?||?||?|
|Axolotl chirps||Friendly Creatures||Randomly when not in water||?||?||?|
|Axolotl splashes||Friendly Creatures||Entering water||?||?||?|
|Axolotl swims||Friendly Creatures||Moving through water||?||?||?|
|Name||Resource location||Translation key|
|Name||Resource location||Numeric ID||Translation key|
Axolotls have entity data associated with them that contain various properties.
- Entity data
- Additional fields for mobs that can breed
- Tags common to all entities
- Tags common to all mobs
- FromBucket: 1 or 0 (true/false) – if true, indicates the axolotl has been released from a bucket.
- Variant: ID of the axolotl's variant.
|Icon||Achievement||In-game description||Actual requirements (if different)||Gamerscore earned||Trophy type (PS4)|
|The Healing Power of Friendship!||Team up with an Axolotl and win a fight||Team up with an axolotl by killing the hostile aquatic mob  while the axolotl is fighting it (not playing dead).||30G||Silver|
|Icon||Advancement||In-game description||Parent||Actual requirements (if different)||Resource location|
|The Parrots and the Bats||Breed two animals together||Husbandry||Breed a pair of any of these 22 mobs:
|Two by Two||Breed all the animals!||The Parrots and the Bats||Breed a pair of each of these 21 mobs:
|The Cutest Predator||Catch an axolotl in a bucket||Tactical Fishing||Use a water bucket on an axolotl.|
|The Healing Power of Friendship!||Team up with an axolotl and win a fight||The Cutest Predator||Have the Regeneration effect applied from assisting an axolotl or it killing a mob.|
|October 3, 2020||Axolotls are announced at Minecraft Live 2020.|
|They are shown to spawn in lush caves biomes.|
|October 3, 2020||An unreleased green variant was shown at the Minecraft Live 2020 recap, which was not shown on the live event.|
|Axolotls do not avoid lava.|
|When an axolotl is held with a lead on the ground, it begins walking at an exaggeratedly fast speed.|
|21w03a||Axolotls attack glow squids.|
|21w13a||The texture of the axolotls for four variants except the wild has been changed.|
|Axolotls now spawn naturally underwater in caves.|
|Axolotls now give the player Regeneration I, as well as remove Mining Fatigue, when engaged in combat.|
|Axolotls now correctly attack elder guardians.|
|Axolots spawned from buckets in the creative inventory spawn only as pink.|
|21w18a||The textures of axolotls have been changed from to to remove the unused open mouth.|
|21w20a||Axolotls now play dead only when in water.|
|Axolotls can no longer be fed tropical fish.|
|Pre-release 3||Axolotls now spawn only in total darkness and where there's a block with |
|Baby Axolotls no longer despawn.|
|1.17.1||Pre-release 1||Blue axolotls no longer naturally spawn, and can be obtained only through breeding.|
|1.18||1.18 Experimental Snapshot 1||Axolotls now spawn only in lush caves.|
|21w37a||Axolotls now have their own mob cap, separate from glow squids.|
|21w40a||Axolotls now only spawn when there is a clay block less than five blocks below the spawning space.|
|Pre-release 5||Changed the texture of the wild variant, to solve the issue of its off-centered back.|
|1.17.0||beta 188.8.131.52||Added axolotls.|
|beta 184.108.40.206||Axolotls now spawn naturally in underground water sources.|
|Axolotls no longer get a regeneration effect after killing a mob on their own.|
|beta 220.127.116.11||Axolotls now spawn in any biome and up to Y-63 instead of Y-30.|
|Axolotls are now available without enabling experimental gameplay.|
|beta 18.104.22.168||The texture of the axolotls for all variants except the wild has been changed.|
|Axolotls no longer attack invisible mobs.|
|Bred axolotls now maintain their color after being placed from a bucket.|
|1.17.10||beta 22.214.171.124||Axolotls now spawn only in complete darkness.|
|1.17.30||beta 126.96.36.199||Axolotls now spawn only where there is a stone block less than 10 blocks below the spawning space.|
|With experimental gameplay enabled, axolotls spawn only in lush caves.|
|1.18.0||beta 188.8.131.52||Axolotls now spawn only in lush caves by default without enabling experimental gameplay.|
|beta 184.108.40.206||Axolotls now only spawn when there is a clay block less than five blocks below the spawning space.|
|beta 220.127.116.11||Axolotls more frequently spawn in lush caves.|
|Wild Update (experimental)||beta 18.104.22.168||Axolotls can now attack tadpoles.|
Axolotl concept art from Minecraft Live 2020.
- In the release notes Minecraft Launcher there is an encrypted message T⍑ᒷ ᔑ ̇/𝙹ꖎ𝙹ℸ ̣ ꖎᓭ ᔑ∷ᒷ リ𝙹ℸ ̣ ∴⍑ᔑℸ ̣ ℸ ̣ ⍑ᒷ|| ᓭᒷᒷᒲ, which translates to "The Axolotls are not what they seem".
- Axolotls are small salamanders that are endemic to Mexico, which are critically endangered. Following Mojang Studios' trend of adding endangered species such as polar bears, giant pandas (no longer an endangered as of 2022), sea turtles, and bees, axolotls were added to the game to raise awareness.
- The probability of a blue axolotl spawning is 1 in 1200 because that is approximately the number of axolotls left in the wild in real life.
- Axolotls can eat only buckets of tropical fish and not tropical fish items because axolotls in real life eat only living fish.
- The blue variant was a suggestion by user Darkiceflame on the Minecraft's Suggestion Box Reddit community. It is a reference to Mudkip from the Pokémon series.
- Even though they are not in the game, the green variant appears in the Caves & Cliffs: Part I announcement trailer and caves and cliffs recap. When asked on a livestream, Agnes said she cannot say why the green variant was cut from the game.
- Both the "play dead" behavior and the regeneration ability of axolotls are based on the abilities of real life axolotls.
- Because real axolots don't actually vocalize, the sounds of axolotls were recorded from the incidental "hiccups" and "burps" real axolotls occasionally make when surfacing, as well as heavily edited dog sounds.
In other media
Axolotl and Warden concept art
An Axolotl in promotional artwork for the Caves & Cliffs: Part I update.
An Axolotl in promotional artwork for the Caves & Cliffs: Part 2 update.
An axolotl in promotional artwork for the GOAT Update.
Lego Minecraft Axolotl
- "MINECON Live 2019" by Minecraft – youtube.com, September 28, 2019. "...since the bee population is decreasing in the world, which is a big problem, we really felt that we wanted to teach the players..." - Agnes Larsson
- "Minecraft Live: Caves & Cliffs - First Look" by Minecraft – youtube.com, October 3, 2020. "And then we also found out that axolotls are endangered in the real world, and we think it's good to add endangered animals to Minecraft to create awareness about that." - Agnes Larsson
- "Dev Diaries: Caves & Cliffs Mobs"
- Caves & Cliffs Update: Part I - Official Trailer
- "The Secrets of Minecraft: Death Sounds, Secret Animals, and Other Delights! @3:22" – Minecraft on YouTube, November 19, 2021