14 × 7
Height: 0.6 blocks
|Items usable on|
Axolotls are aquatic passive mobs that attack most other underwater mobs.
Axolotls can be one of five colors: pink (lucy), brown (wild), gold, cyan, and blue. The blue variety has a 1⁄1200 (0.083%) chance, giving the common varieties a 1199⁄4800 (~24.98%) chance individually.
Baby axolotls picked up and re-spawned with a bucket did not preserve their growth stage and turned to adults before 21w13a.
Axolotls attack all aquatic mobs except turtles and dolphins. They also attack drowned. After killing a non-hostile mob, there is a two minute cooldown before another non-hostile mob can be hunted. Axolotls prioritize attacking hostile mobs over non-hostile mobs.
If an axolotl takes damage underwater, it may feign death, dropping to the ground for 200 game ticks (10 seconds) while gaining Regeneration I. Monsters ignore healing axolotls. There is a 1⁄3 chance for an axolotl to play dead to recover 4. In addition, if either a random integer from 0–2 (inclusive) is less than the amount of incoming damage, or the axolotl's health before the damage is dealt is less than 50% of its maximum health, it plays dead.
On land, axolotls move toward the nearest water source because they die outside of water after 6000 game ticks (5 minutes). Unlike fish, dolphins, and squid, axolotls do not die on land during rain or a thunderstorm.
They spin around at high speeds when attached to a lead on land due to a glitch.
Adult axolotls can be led and bred with tropical fish or buckets of tropical fish. After breeding, a baby axolotl spawns and 1-7 experience is generated. The parents cannot be bred again for 5 minutes. The baby axolotl has a 1⁄1200 chance to be the rare blue variant; otherwise, it inherits the color of one parent. Babies follow adults, and grow to adulthood in 20 minutes. The growth of baby axolotls can be accelerated using tropical fish; each use reduces the remaining growing time by 10%.
|Sound||Subtitle||Source||Description||Namespaced ID||Translation key||Volume||Pitch||Attenuation|
|Axolotl attacks||Friendly Creatures||Attacking a mob||?||?||?|
|Axolotl dies||Friendly Creatures||Dying||?||?||?|
|Axolotl hurts||Friendly Creatures||Taking damage||?||?||?|
|Axolotl chirps||Friendly Creatures||Randomly when in water||?||?||?|
|Axolotl chirps||Friendly Creatures||Randomly when not in water||?||?||?|
|Axolotl splashes||Friendly Creatures||Entering water||?||?||?|
|Axolotl swims||Friendly Creatures||Moving through water||?||?||?|
|Name||Namespaced ID||Translation key|
Axolotls have entity data associated with them that contain various properties.
- Entity data
- Additional fields for mobs that can breed
- Tags common to all entities
- Tags common to all mobs
- FromBucket: 1 or 0 (true/false) – if true, indicates the axolotl has been released from a bucket.
- Variant: ID of the axolotl's variant.
|October 3, 2020||Axolotls are announced at Minecraft Live 2020.|
|They are shown to spawn in lush caves biomes.|
|October 3, 2020||An unreleased green variant was shown at the Minecraft Live 2020 recap, which was not shown on the live event.|
|Upcoming Java Edition|
|Axolotls do not avoid lava.|
|When an axolotl is held with a lead on the ground, it begins walking at an exaggeratedly fast speed.|
|21w03a||Axolotls attack glow squids.|
|21w13a||The texture of the axolotls for four variants except the wild has been changed.|
|Axolotls now spawn naturally underwater in caves.|
|Axolotls now give the player Regeneration I, as well as removing Mining Fatigue, when engaged in combat.|
|Axolotls now correctly attack elder guardians.|
|Upcoming Bedrock Edition|
|1.16.230||beta 22.214.171.124||Added axolotls.|
Axolotl concept art from Minecraft Live 2020.
- Axolotls are small salamanders that are endemic to Mexico, which are critically endangered, following Mojang Studios' trend of adding endangered species such as polar bears, giant pandas, sea turtles and bees into the game for awareness purposes.
- Axolotls are the first amphibian mobs implemented into Minecraft. However, it was not the first announced amphibian because frogs were announced at MINECON Live 2019.
- In addition, Rana was based on a frog.
- Blue is the only color variant of axolotls not based on real life. The blue variant was a suggestion by user Darkiceflame on the r/minecraftsuggestions subreddit. It is a reference to Mudkip from the Pokémon series.
- "MINECON Live 2019" by Minecraft – youtube.com, September 28, 2019. "...since the bee population is decreasing in the world, which is a big problem, we really felt that we wanted to teach the players..." - Agnes Larsson
- "Minecraft Live: Caves & Cliffs - First Look" by Minecraft – youtube.com, October 3, 2020. "And then we also found out that axolotls are endangered in the real world, and we think it's good to add endangered animals to Minecraft to create awareness about that." - Agnes Larsson