Axes are tools used to speed up the process of collecting wood-type blocks or some plants.
Axes are made from 5 different materials (from lowest to highest durability):
Wooden axes appear in most bonus chest, which also has stone axes on occasion. Stone axes also appear in some igloo basements, and an efficiency I iron axe appears in some woodland mansion rooms. Weaponsmith villagers sell iron axes for 6–8 emeralds, and enchanted diamond axes for 9–12 emeralds. Vindicators will sometimes drop iron axes upon death. Alternatively, they can be made in a crafting table in the following arrangement:
As a tool
The primary role of an axe is to quicken the collection of wood, wood-type block and plants like Pumpkins and Melons. A Player may choose to do this by hand but at a severely reduced pace. The most common type of crafted axe is probably the iron axe, as iron is a strong material that can be found in abundance. A gold axe can mine wood and wood items the quickest by far, but it has much lower durability.
What it can cut
- Wood (any type)
- Wooden Planks, Stairs, and Slabs
- Crafting Tables
- Wooden Doors and Trapdoors
- Wooden Fences and fence Gates
- Wooden Buttons
- Wooden Pressure plates
- Daylight Detector
- Chests and Trapped Chest
- Paintings and Item Frames
As a Weapon
Axes deal somewhat lower damage than swords, but it still can be used as a weapon. However, there are three drawbacks to using it as a weapon, opposed to a tool:
- Attacking with an axe (or using it to mine a non-wood block) will cause it to take double durability damage.
- Like swords,they require an anvil to enchant with weapon-based enchantments.
- The cooldown for an axe is longer than that of a sword.
- Axes used to be double sided in Indev (see gallery).
- In the language files, axes are referred to as "Hatchets."
- The wooden, iron, gold, and cobblestone axe variants are renewable, but the diamond variant is not renewable.
- An axe can be used to disable a shield for 5 seconds. The chance of this is increased with the efficiency enchantment, or by sprint-attacking.
- As of Minecraft 1.13 right-clicking on a wood log with an axe turns the block into a stripped log, this transformation can't be reversed.