|This article is/was featured on the Main Page of Minecraft Wiki!|
|Java Edition version history|
|◄ 1.11 • 1.12 • 1.13 ►|
- Advancements - The replacement system for achievements that can be customized via JSON files and has a tab-based UI.
- Narrator - Reads text in the chat, activated by pressing + .
- Recipes for items can be unlocked, allowing a player to craft an item without putting the ingredients in their special combination.
- Functions - list of commands found in the save directory.
- Menu screen - clicking the copyright text will allow a player to see the credits.
- Toolbars in Creative - + saves the current hotbar to a list called toolbars; + loads in from the hotbar.
/recipe <give|take> [player] <name>
- Unlocks/locks a certain recipe for a player in crafting.
- Runs a function, which is a text file containing commands.
- Reloads functions and more.
- If enabled, limits players to only using crafting recipes discovered.
- Executes the command from the command's executor.
- Illusioner - A hostile mob that creates copies, or illusions, of itself. It does not spawn naturally.
- Concrete powder - A block that is affected by gravity and turns into concrete when it touches water. It can also come in the 16 different dye colors.
- Glazed terracotta - A block which has 16 different patterns depending on the dye color used to make it.
- Knowledge Book - currently only obtainable with the command
/give @p knowledge_book.
- It contains a list of item IDs that will unlock the specified items' recipes for any player that consumes it.
- Achievements have been removed, and replaced with advancements.
- Materials tab merged with the Miscellaneous tab in Creative mode.
- Minecraft now uses Java 8, and it is now required to run the game.
- As a result, the splash text "Now Java 6!" has been changed to "Now Java 8!"
- Creative mode - The "miscellaneous" tab was merged with the "materials" tab which is now on the bottom-left in order to make way for the "toolbars" tab.
- Wool and banners - Colors have been modified to be more vibrant.
- Beds - Un-angered zombie pigmen will not stop players from sleeping.
- Paintings - now they try to take up as much space as possible when placed.
- Magma blocks - they now burn indefinitely when lit on fire, similar to Netherrack.
- Beacons - beam colors are now darker and they now display their name when hovering over them.
- Enchantment tables - Now display their name when hovering over them.
- Hardened clay - Now called terracotta.
- Note block - New sounds.
Snapshots and subsequent updates
There were eleven snapshots and seven pre-releases for 1.12.
Released on August 3, 2017, this version fixed 3 bugs and updated the game credits.
1.12.2 was released on September 18, 2017, and is the first version to have the official name Minecraft: Java Edition. It also fixed 9 bugs.
- Mojang Studios staff had already begun work on 1.12 features in December 2016, and they had come up with a theme for the update as well.
- A contest was held on Reddit in early 2017, where users could submit pictures of "colorful builds" which could be featured in the next Minecraft trailer.