2015년 12월 9일
- 렐름 알림을 켜고 끌 수 있는 설정이 추가됨.
- 컴퓨터의 시각을 12월 24일~26일 사이로 설정하면, 덫 상자의 텍스쳐도 크리스마스 상자 텍스쳐로 변하게 됨.
- 렐름의 버튼이 통함됨.
- 렐름 설정버튼과 렐름메뉴에서 나가는 버튼과 남은 렐름서버의 기한을 나타내는 신호등이 추가됨.
- 13개의 문제점이 고쳐짐
- From released versions before 1.8
- MC-2324 – Player trapped/cannot get out of flowing water
- MC-17595 – Villages still spawn when "village" is not in the preset
- MC-31577 – Some arrows shot into a block never despawn
- MC-33265 – Words are divided in chat.
- MC-36260 – Nonstandard parts of nonstandard character skin still show with invisibility potion.
- MC-42150 – Christmas trapped chests do not have texture of presents
- MC-47726 – Block breaking animation may occasionally change to a weird color
- From the 1.8 development versions
- MC-57016 – Water and lava glitches and shows blocks as if air
- MC-72469 – Fence gate smooth lighting inconsistent
- 수정된 현재 버전에서
- MC-94199 – Realms crash when using arrow keys on advertisement page.
- MC-94467 – When closing a world on Realms, the world remains on closing and players could not switch to the same world or another world.
- MC-94651 – Ampersand will trim realm name and description.
- MC-94820 – Realms:
an error occurred (401): invalid session id.
Video made by slicedlime:
- Despite this version having fewer features and being unsupported (like Java Edition 1.7.10), it is still popular among minigame players and plugin servers, due to a common dislike of 1.9 features such as the Combat Update's changes to PvP, and also the instability on newer versions.
- This was the last release to be compatible with a previous server version, until 1.16.5.
- This version was released on the same day as 15w50a.
- 1.8.9 was the last version to be released during the snapshot process of the next major update until 1.16.5.
- This is the last version to have the Twitch integration services.
- This is also the last version to have the Super Secret Settings option.
- 1.8.9 has the longest wait for a minor update to Java Edition, with 134 days having elapsed since the release of 1.8.8 on July 28, 2015.