Minecraft Realms is an official subscription-based server hosting service that allows players to create and manage their own private Minecraft servers. Hosted by Mojang, Realms provides an easy and fast way to create servers and allows the owner to manage them from inside the game, without prior knowledge of the concepts for hosting on the Internet. Realms also allows players to choose from a list of minigames (updated by Mojang approximately every 2 weeks) to play temporarily, as well as several pre-made world templates, adventure maps, and experiences. Realms are not intended for large public servers, but for groups of friends or as a family server.
- 1 Requirements
- 2 Subscriptions
- 3 Using Realms
- 4 Available maps & templates
- 5 Limitations
- 6 History
- 7 Issues
- 8 Trivia
- 9 Gallery
- 10 References
Realms is a service that can only be used by players that meet these requirements:
- You must have a Mojang account and must have a premium copy of Minecraft or Minecraft: Pocket Edition
- You must have a working internet connection
- You must be age 13 years or older to join the Minecraft Realms community
- Manage your Realms subscriptions here.
Realms is a subscription-based service. The link above will take you to your Mojang account page and will allow you to extend a current Realm or buy a new one ($7.99 per month for PC/Mac, and $3.99 per month for Pocket).
There are two types of subscriptions: Auto-renew and manual-renew. Auto-renew subscriptions automatically renew the Realms subscription every 30 days without you having to do a thing (this can be canceled). Manual-renew subscriptions need to be renewed manually and come in 30-day, 90-day, and 180-day packages for PC/Mac, as well as two-friend and ten-friend packages for Pocket.
All players are able to have a 30-day free Realms trial, providing they have not had a free trial on their Mojang account before.
Available maps & templates
Within the Realms service, users can elect to temporarily replace their regular world with a "minigame" or permanently replace their regular world with a world template, adventure map, or experience. You also cannot use most of the commands or options while your realm is using a preset minigame. Certain maps may not be currently available on Realms due to being phased out or incompatible with the current update.
Minigames are temporary games designed to be played and reset continuously.
- Christmas Brawl by the MineMakers Team
- The Naughty List by the Naughty Elves
- Ice Wars by Team Noot
- Logic&Elves by Dwittyy
- Makers Punch by the MineMakers Team
- Pumpkin Party by Plagiatus, dragonmaster95, and Tomhelduf
- Trick or Treat! by CommandRedstone, gilly330, BREEZ90, Pebble
- Color Run by Team Cyrus
- Valley of the Kings by The Broken Buttons
- Makers Wars by the MineMakers Team
- Imperium by Vilder50 and Pollieboy
- Ludo by Plagiatus, dragonmaster95, and Vilder50
- Clambering Cubes by bananenbroek4
- Wither's Challenge by Xiantis and Hypixel
- Makers Spleef by the MineMakers Team
- Blocked In Combat by PingiPuck, pandymit, EpicMelon, and DarkPiep
- Sunburn Pheonix by yrsegal and destruc7i0n
- 3D Minesweeper by TheAl_T
- Memory Battle by K1ll1er, Huntondoom, Quazymoodo, and ImLeeRii
- TNT Run by Huntondoom, K1ll1er, quazymoodo, and ChrisBambii
- Battle of Gods by McMakistein, Sqored, and EnrazeGames
- Highliner by McDic and Kayan
Adventures are maps designed for long term play.
- Light Your Way Home by BlockWorks and Mojang
- Don't Go Insane by Datenegassie
- The Present Factory by QwertyuiopThePie, NateT_Bird, and Wiskeyweasel
- Negentropy by Plagiatus and SDCStudio
- Where Next? by TPCBonehound
- Gray by MinecraftRedstoning
- Herobrine's Mansion by Xiantis and Hypixel
- The Dornenstein Estate by Mangelware, DIDschl, and Saophai
- Unsighted Shadow by the MineMakers Team
- Story Mode - Redstonia by Onnowhere
World Templates are maps designed for usage as custom survival world spawns. Normal terrain generates beyond the hand-made spawn area.
- Winter Stronghold by Blockworks
- Raider's Refuge by Blockworks
- Spindlewood by The VoxelBox
- A Tremendous Spawn by The VoxelBox
- Silent Ville by Springstof
- Desert Ruins by AKAMc
- Skylight by Springstof
- Sparrenhout by Springstof
- Flower Mountain by Emoluvjd2
- Tranquil Temple by K1ll1er, ImLeeRii & Mouldy_Burrito
- Staalhamer by Springstof and Jaapie172
- Zanafar Salt Mines by Pixelbat
- Winter's Hearth by Nobleman, Vek, and Paaaaaaat
- Jungle Retreat by Nobleman, Vek, and Paaaaaaat
- Amrath by Halbrave
- Desert Nook by Nobleman, Vek, and Paaaaaaat
- Floral Ranch by Pe3tr and Twett
- Elleroth by Pe3tr and Twett
- Stellar Impact by Springstof
- Dragon's Roost by Inryft, Floodplain, and Nobleman
- Mushroom Plantation by _Ug, IkeShroom, and P0weri
- Aurora Glade by Mangelware
- Murky Manor by Nobleman, Defran, and Vek
- Ghost Town by Pe3tr, Twett, and Tiliba
- Jeontong Village by Mangelware
- Reddern by Pe3tr, Twett, and Tiliba
- Waldur by Halbrave, Pebble, and Kovu
- Canopy Dream by Theticman and ChildOfStars
- Forgotten Hamlet by Theticman and ChildOfStars
- The Lost Civilization by Blockception and Mojang
- Frosty Wind by Theticman and ChildOfStars
- Vaslen by Terasal
Experiences are maps designed for observation and exploration. These maps lack a goal that the player is actively working towards completing.
- Big Giant Light Show by CDFDMAN, Sounas, and SpiderRobotMan
Although Realms is hosted by Mojang, and therefore safe and secure, it has some limitations. These limitations can be avoided by using the standard server software or a third-party hosting website.
- Only whitelisted servers with up to ten players at once are allowed. Larger servers cannot be made.
- Players can not be invited/uninvited or opped/deopped in-game - you must quit to the menu to do this.
- All players are de-opped - even the host - while in a mini-game.
- Minecraft must be running to configure your Realm.
Realms version history
As of Minecraft 1.7.10, Realms has its own versioning system. Below is a changelog of all those updates:
|1.0.0||Redesigned configuration menu|
|Added "Player Activity" section|
|Added ability to toggle PvP, spawning of Animals, Monsters, and NPCs, Command Blocks, Spawn Protection, and some others|
|Added the ability to upload your own worlds|
|Fixed crash whilst using a Resource Pack|
|Fixed white heads glitch|
|1.2.5||Enabled more logging for Realms, which ends up in the launcher development console|
|1.2.6||Fixed issue with world uploading on Windows|
|1.2.7||Stored Realms library version in the library jar so it can be displayed by the launcher|
|1.2.8||Fixed backups screen scrolling|
|Added indicator colors for each player in the activity monitor|
|1.2.9||World map is now downloaded directly to the Minecraft saves directory|
|1.2.10||Configure button will now disable if Realm is in admin mode|
|1.3.0||Localization of Realms error messages|
|1.3.1||Fixed an issue with Invite Screen that wouldn't display Realms error messages on screen|
|Refactoring of error handling in Realms http client|
|1.3.2||Fixed an issue with world downloading on Windows|
|1.3.4||Realms considers modded clients to be outdated|
|1.5.5||Moved What is Realms? button to the top-left of the Realms home screen|
|1.7.3||New world configuration layout. Ability to have three worlds saved to the Realm with the ability to switch between them at any time.|
|1.8.9||New realm logos and changed What is Realms? button into a yellow ?|
|1.9.4||The invite list cap is lifted from 200 to "an arbitrarily large, but maybe reachable number."|
|1.9.5||The world upload limit is lifted to 5GB.|
|1.10.10||When new content is loaded into Realms, and an announcement blog post is posted, a newspaper icon now shows on the home screen 'Minecraft Realms' button. These notifications can be toggled on and off.|
Minecraft version history
Originally, Realms updates were tied into regular Minecraft updates, until the release of Minecraft 1.7.10. Below is a changelog of all those updates.
|1.5||Added Minecraft Realms Alpha, which was only accessible to 100 alpha testers|
|1.5.1||Changed Realm List Layout to show your owned Realms first, then ones you are invited to.|
|Overhauled Configuration screen, changing layout|
|Changed the way Realms show up on the main list|
|Updated "More Info" link|
|1.6.4||More alpha testers chosen, using the same algorithm as the first round of testers were picked with|
|1.7.4||Configuration screen layout changed|
|Updated Realms list to include a picture of the owner's face as the server logo|
|1.7.5||Added Minigames feature|
|1.7.6||Added the ability to promote other players to Operators via the configuration screen|
|Added "Changes since last backup" feature|
|1.7.10||Moved all Realms related modules into a separate library|
|1.8.8||Realms now has the ability to serve Realm-wide resource packs|
|1.8.9||Realms invites from friends are now shown on the main menu|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.7.1||Added Pocket Realms, accessible only to the testers of the PC edition|
|0.7.6||Moved Realms login button to the settings menu|
|"Play on Realms" button only appears if a tester is signed in|
|Realms are shut down for maintenance.|
|0.15.0||Realms build 1||Readded Realms|
|Users can now test Realms Alpha for free.|
|Realms build 2||Fixed crashes related to realms.|
|?||Now have to sign into Xbox Live to use Realms.|
The following chart shows when Realms was introduced in the respective countries.
|Antigua & Deps||2014-05-19|
|Central African Rep||2014-05-19|
|Congo (Democratic Rep)||2014-05-19|
|Isle of Man||2014-04-24|
|Papua New Guinea||2014-05-09|
|St Kitts & Nevis||2014-05-19|
|Saint Vincent & the Grenadines||2014-05-19|
|Sao Tome & Principe||2014-05-19|
|Trinidad & Tobago||2014-05-19|
|United Arab Emirates||2014-04-24|
|Wallis Futuna Islands||2014-05-09|
Issues relating to “Realms” are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.
- The Mojang blog closing signature was signed // The Minecraft and Minecraft Realms teams instead of the usual // The Minecraft team starting with the blog Minecraft Snapshot 13w09a.
The menu screen, with the Minecraft Realms button.
- Realms TemplatesList.png
The list of minigames you can play.
- “If anyone likes updating the wiki, this page is a good candidate: http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Realms . PC and PE/Win10 have a number of differences.” – @Marc_IRL, January 17, 2017
- “If you're updating the wiki and have questions that need official sources, feel free to reach out to me. I'll try my best to answer!” – @Marc_IRL, January 17, 2017
- “The whitelist limit for PE and PC Realms has now been raised to an arbitrarily large, but maybe reachable number. Good luck hitting it now!” – @Marc_IRL, August 15, 2016
- “The PC Realms world upload limit has been bumped up significantly. Go nuts uploading those big city builds!” – @Marc_IRL, August 16, 2016
- “@OrbanAdrien 5GB” – @Marc_IRL, August 16, 2016
- “When we load new content into PC Realms, we'll now let you know when the new announcement blog post arrives. Informational!” – @Marc_IRL, January 12, 2017
- “As always, if you're not into Realms notifications (trial, invitations, and now news), you can turn 'em off here:” – @Marc_IRL, January 12, 2017