For each attempt, a location and size (an open area of 5×5×4, 5×7×4, or 7×7×4) is chosen. The attempt succeeds if the following conditions are met:
- The floor area (including under the walls) of the potential dungeon must be entirely solid.
- The ceiling area (including over the walls) of the potential dungeon must be entirely solid.
- The walls of the potential dungeon must have 1–5 openings (2-high air blocks) at floor level.
If the location passes, air and cobblestone are placed, then 3 attempts are made to generate each of 2 chests. To generate a chest, the chosen block must be empty and must have a solid block on exactly one of its four sides. The spawner is placed at the center of the dungeon.
Dungeons will still generate if the 'generate structures' option is toggled to off.
Dungeons are small rooms made of cobblestone and moss stone and contain a monster spawner and up to 2 chests. Finding a dungeon without a chest is very unlikely but possible. Additionally, there is a slight chance of a dungeon being found without a spawner. Occasionally, a dungeon will generate with its chests in such a way as to create a double chest. Dungeons generate with either a zombie (50% chance), skeleton (25% chance), or spider (25% chance) spawner. The spawner is always in the center of the dungeon room, with chests located around the walls of the room (large chests can connect with the short side against the wall). Each block of the floor has a 25% chance of being cobblestone, and a 75% chance of being moss stone.
- See also: Chest loot
Each dungeon chest contains items drawn from 3 pools, with the following distribution:
|Stack Size||Weight||# Items||Chance||# Chests|
|Music Disc (13)||1||—||—||15⁄127||—||—||0.236||21.8%||4.6|
|Music Disc (Cat)||1||—||—||15⁄127||—||—||0.236||21.8%||4.6|
|Iron Horse Armor||1||—||—||15⁄127||—||—||0.236||21.8%||4.6|
|Enchanted Book[note 1]||1||—||—||10⁄127||—||—||0.157||14.9%||6.7|
|Golden Horse Armor||1||—||—||10⁄127||—||—||0.157||14.9%||6.7|
|Diamond Horse Armor||1||—||—||5⁄127||—||—||0.079||7.7%||13.0|
|Enchanted Golden Apple||1||—||—||2⁄127||—||—||0.031||3.1%||32.1|
- All enchantments are equally probable, except treasure enchantments, and any level of the enchantment is equally probable.
In Pocket Edition, cocoa beans and ink sacs can be found in chests.
|Seecret Friday 2||Added dungeons.|
|1.0.4||Added redstone dust to dungeon chests, sometime between its introduction in alpha 1.0.1 and 1.0.4.|
|1.0.14||Added the newly introduced 13 and cat music discs to dungeon chests.|
|1.4||Added cocoa beans to dungeon chests.|
|1.8||Bread can appear in groups of 2[Verify], because food became stackable in 1.8|
|1.3.1||12w22a||Breaking the spawner of a dungeon gives experience.|
|1.4.6||12w49a||Added enchanted books to dungeon chests.|
|1.6.1||13w16b||Added name tags to dungeon chests.|
|13w18a||Added horse armor to dungeon chests and removed cocoa beans. Probabilities were also adjusted.|
|1.7.2||13w36a||Changes in cavern generation make dungeons considerably rarer.|
|1.8||14w30a||Chances of music discs reduced.|
|1.9||15w44a||Added bone, coal, rotten flesh, enchanted golden apple, and melon, pumpkin and beetroot seeds to chests.|
|Average yields of music discs are increased. Average yields of enchanted books, gunpowder and string have doubled. Average yield of normal golden apples is substantially increased.|
|Average yield of iron horse armor is decreased. Average yields of name tags, saddle, wheat and bread are nearly halved. Average yields of iron ingots and buckets are substantially decreased.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.9.0||build 1||Added dungeons.|
|0.15.0||build 1||Added name tags,enchanted books and horse armor to dungeon chests.|
|TU1||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||Added dungeons.|
Issues relating to “Dungeon” are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.
- Dungeons are always connected to a cavern or other structure, although it's possible for the dungeon itself to overwrite most of a very small cave.
- It is possible, though rare, to find connected dungeons with multiple spawners and extra chests. It is also possible for a dungeon to generate over another, replacing the chests and spawner of the first.
- It is possible, though almost impossibly rare, for a dungeon to be generated at bedrock level, thereby deleting the bedrock. In that case, digging through the moss stone can lead into the Void.
- Double-chest dungeons, as shown below, may have chests that form a perpendicular barrier between the wall and spawner (an exception to this would be in 7x7 dungeons, in which the chest cannot reach the spawner).
- Double Dungen.png
Another Double Dungeon